Sunday, July 13, 2014

Challenges of a Woman (1 of 2)

I have been told that the current statistics show that there are now more men than women—in the world’s 7 Billion population. In China, it is said that the ratio is 120 men to 100 women. What will this mean to women nowadays?
I guess for my daughter, she will not have trouble finding a partner later in life. Haha! But joking aside, I feel that it does not make so much difference. Women have now taken on two roles, or maybe three or four. Women have now entered the arena which was once a man’s world. I, for one, have been on the rat race right after graduation up to this time. And even as I married, became a mother, separated, I am still in-charge of the financial aspect of my family’s life.
What a challenge to become a female or a woman in this day and age…
During my mother’s time, when she got married, she stopped working to become a full-time mom to her children. She was there on most of my activities in school, prepared our “baon”, make us a reviewer when exam time comes. While papa on the other hand is expected to bring home the bacon. Men take  pride in being the provider and breadwinner of the family.
But today, the scenarios have changed. While women should also be proud of what we have achieved, I could not say that we are totally fortunate.
I would still love to, once in awhile be, dependent. This is coming from someone who would think not once but a thousand times before she buys that designer item. Because if she does, it would mean she would have to work doubly hard for the groceries, electric and water bills, the stuff the kids need, food, clothing ,shelter…although with a little exaggeration.
What a wondrous time when husbands surrender their ATM’s to their wives…where has that time gone??
With a dual-income household, sometimes there is the tendency for women to provide for most of the needs at home and less for herself. With the women in the workforce, some children are left in the care of helpers. Yet for other mothers abroad, they are taking care of other people’s children and their own children in turn are taken care of by relatives…I remember the news about a child beaten, scorched and burned with boiling water and left for dead on the street. The child’s aunt and uncle were later brought to jail for the monstrous deed.
My cousin’s wife has been working abroad for years, so it is my cousin who takes care of 2 female children. One of which has been diagnosed of kidney problem. She is spending a thousand pesos a day for meds and her dialysis…it is heartbreaking to see a man cry in despair. The father now stands as the mother? Why have the roles been reversed?  
I also strongly feel that the distance will take its toll on any relationship. A family should be together…in tact . This is just my opinion.  (To be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment