Sunday, July 13, 2014

Eat Your Desserts First

I had a crazy idea on how to celebrate my 40th birthday. It was to organize my own living funeral…
For those who have read Tuesdays with Morrie, they will know what I am talking about.  I will invite all of my closest friends and of course, family and they will each have to do their eulogy for me like they would on my funeral. 

Morbid but wouldn’t it be nice to hear what they would all say about you?? What’s good there is they
 would also have the chance to say it out loud…
while you are still sitting up and breathing. In a word, ALIVE!
Unfortunately, my thoughts didn’t make it through the action stage. Thoughts to actions, right? Maybe next time, in a few years…
BUT that is exactly what I wanted to passionately express!! What if there wasn’t going to be a next time? 
Why are we always quick to set aside things just because we worry  about what others think? Or that we don’t have the time or resources to do it…so many other reasons….

DO IT NOW! You don’t know what will happen later. A slogan from a cake shop reads “Life is uncertain, eat your desserts first!” 
I had a laugh because of the truth of it and because we tend to save the best for last not knowing that
 you might not get to that LAST “BEST”!!!
In my 40 years, so many things have happened. A number of challenges to test my faith, my strength,
my character…
I have learned that family is the most important in my life. I don’t think I have ever gone through all that I have without them.
When I say family, this would not only mean my partner and my children but my parents, sisters, brothers, etc.  
When my youngest brother, Brick, passed away last year, it helped us grieve because we all grieved together…even sleeping in my parents’ room, maybe 12-15 of us…including grandchildren and toddler.
I received mail from one of my friends saying that Brick was lucky to have been a member of our family. 
She explains that hers didn’t want to be a “family”.
Our family is not perfect. We have the same  troubles as any other.  Maybe we just decided to overlook our differences and faults and capitalize on the love we do have for one another. 

(Following note written on April 26, 2014)
I attended the burial of my sons’ grandmother yesterday and I told Edman and Tommy, “You know, Nak, someday you would have to do the same things
that your father is doing now”. Preparing for the funeral, procession, mass... Edman said, “Not too soon, Ma... Think about Castielle..”

No, there shouldn’t be talk of dying yet.  There is still so much to be done! We have just celebrated
 Papa’s 91st birthday last month and Trixie’s successful chemo sessions.... I am so grateful to God for all that He has given us.
 I thank God for every morning that Papa is still with us. 
I thank Him for being with Trixie during her 11 hour-long operation..
I don’t know how many times I kissed my little sister upon her arrival from the operating room...
A silent prayer to God: Lord, don’t trust me too much to keep on sending me these trials, please....:)

I still thank Him for that as well...GOOD AND BAD.
There shouldn’t be talk of death, agree. But there should be enough consciousness that we don’t have the luxury of time...
Every day is a miracle. Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment