Sunday, July 13, 2014

What's in a Name? What's in a Title?

My sister and I were about 8 or 9 when my parents took us to bowling tournaments of the Davao Insurers Club.  At one time, we were both muses of two different competing teams.  We were surrounded by my Uncle who managed a Non-life Insurance company and his colleagues.  Mama would volunteer Trixie and I to do a dance or song number. Then, with practice and experience, the word “shy” was no longer in our vocabulary. This is probably what got us to where we both are now.  Insurance. That’s a different story altogether.  Watch out for the next topic!
It’s a thrill whenever I meet somebody who knows Tito Tom or my father.  They would tell me stories of how they met papa or my uncle at “almost-secret” circumstances.  What I mean is, they would recall their younger days and the things that they’re not too afraid to mention now.  What makes me proud though is how, even at their naughtiest, they would not forget to say how my father or Uncle helped them in one way or another.
I was in church with my two boys last Sunday. When the choir was already singing hymns, I took the chance to tell them something very important.  When I brought them to Zamboanga, the real purpose was for them to appreciate their father’s ancestry.  I also brought them to the reunion in Batangas for my side of the family. Both families honored the memories of our predecessors. How they came to the country, what they have done and most especially, what they are remembered for…
 So, what’s in a name? Literally, your name may have meaning. Where it’s derived, who coined or invented it (if you can actually use that word). For our country, it could be the combination of your parents’ name.  It could mean strength or weakness.  But going deeper, when a friend or an acquaintance hears your name, what reaction would it draw out? A smile or a smirk, love or disdain?
I am writing about this now because I have encountered people who do not put too much weight on their name but on their title. Head, Manager, Atty., Doctor, Engr., Architect, VP, EVP, SEVP, FVP and the rest with all the characters on it. I am not discounting the fact that some people have really worked hard for it. But what is really in a title?  
I don’t think it automatically elicits respect. Respect is earned. It does not say that you are mighty and powerful because power dies with one bullet… or maybe even a heart attack. I remember a talk given by my former Sales and Marketing Head, he said, “Influence is more important than power”.  A title, in my opinion, tells me of your service, of what you do.  Even the President of the Philippines vows service to his country.  Like the line from a Batman movie, it is not who you are, but what you DO… that defines you.
I don’t want to be remembered for my title, my rank, my success but for the service I have done. I want to be remembered for the positive impact that I had in a person’s life, for how I have made them feel. My wish is that when somebody I know hears my name, I would absolutely want a smile and definitely not… disdain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment