Sunday, July 13, 2014

In Jail -- Just Visiting

Last year, I learned that one of my car watch boys was in jail. I met these boys in church when they were still so young. It’s funny but I don’t remember having a car that they looked after while we heard mass. It just happened that during my 18th birthday, I invited them all over for some pancit, bread and coke. Then the story began. They would come for my birthdays and Christmas included. I would pack brown paper bags with candies, inexpensive toy cars, coins,etc. and distribute them when they left for their respective homes..which I found out later, they actually didn’t have a home.

Years passed, I lost track of them. They became teenagers, had their own families… I remember Naknak asking me to help them raise funds for their car watch uniforms. I also remember him telling me he wanted to learn how to drive, so he can earn a living driving a tricycle. All of which I wasn’t able to follow-through.

Naknak is now in jail.

His other car-watch colleagues told me after mass. I didn’t even know his complete name and some didn’t know it as well. I had to search for someone who knew. I found out and from Divine intervention, I also knew what jail he was in. I had to come see him. It was my second time visiting BJMP. The first was for a field trip.  

My two sons were with me.  We had to wait for our turn.  We waited at a carinderia with a one-stop-shop of rental clothes, sari-sari, a tiny dept. store and grocery in one. I mentioned rental clothes because we were told by other visitors that we weren’t allowed to be in sleeveless blouses, black pants and black shirt. And we were in all of those mentioned.  My eldest Edman was in black pants , Tom was in black shirt, and I was in a sleeveless blouse….We all didn’t want to go back for a change of clothes. We had to try on items that would fit us. Edman almost didn’t have anything to wear. He was 6 foot and they didn’t have too many pants with that length…

When it was time for us to get in, police officers took turns on frisking my two sons, asked for their ID’s, wrote their names on a logbook and let them through except for me. They said I had to go inside a room with a female officer which I did. Then came the shock of my life….she requested me to take my pants and undergarments down!! I don’t even know if I’m allowed to write these things but it was what happened. I had to ask WHY.
I could see that the female officer was a bit surprised with my question, she can only reply with, “ First time mo, ma’am?” I almost laughed at her remark because it sounded funny. As if it had an entirely different meaning. She just meant if it were my first time to visit.  I said yes. She then relayed that there have already been numerous instances where female visitors try to sneak in dangerous and illegal items through their garments.

After frisking me, they went through my plastic bag. I brought burgers for Naknak. The officers laid it all out and opened all the buns, poked at the patties…another shocker. The female officer offered an explanation for this. Food also has been made instruments to bring items inside jail premises. My fellow visitor remarked in disgust that the Leche Flan she made and brought was sliced in the middle as if they were going through garbage.
Walking with my two boys, I see men in yellow shirts waving at me. Signaling to come their way. I suddenly felt a bit scared. In my mind raced a lot of concerns…could I trust these beings? What if there was a riot?? Oh, what did I get myself into……plus my children were with me! Did I put them in harm’s way??

I said a quiet prayer…Lord, protect us.

I exhaled and surrendered our safety to God.

After signing our names, they had a little solicitation for one of their activities. I told them I would do it on our next visit. Two men assisted us in locating Naknak. We went to two separate areas. As we walked, I noticed that rice was being cooked in a giant pot on the pavement.

We finally reached the area they said Naknak was. It was also where all the meals were being prepared. They used firewood to cook so the room was all covered with smoke. Our eyes stung as we talked and couldn’t help but breathe it in. To our right were a variety of vegetables and I can see a blackboard with the menus of the days of the week. Most of it was vegetable dishes…

To our left were a husband and wife sleeping in an embrace. Oblivious of all that’s around them. All the thoughts in my head…all the emotions. It took awhile before Naknak came. At first he was speechless. I thought he didn’t recognize me but I later realized it was disbelief. He couldn’t believe his eyes…All he could utter was, “Ate…”
Naknak was in jail for “attempted rape”.

I don't know if it was because of the smoke that Naknak's eyes became teary but when I offered him the burger, he said he couldn't eat. I asked why. He answered, "this is how it feels when you have visitors" It's like all hunger disappears and what replaces it is sheer happiness.. of seeing someone you know, somebody who cared...

He told me that he was in jail for a year and a half already. I asked him the nagging question on my mind... “Did you do it?”

He said he did not.

He just entered a guilty plea for a lesser sentence. That was what he was advised. He relayed to me the events of that unfortunate night.  The complainant was a 47 year-old mother whom he drinks with. That night, there were other people with them. They had too much to drink when the female complainant said she lost her wallet and cellphone. She accused Naknak of stealing it. Naknak’s girlfriend upon knowing that they were bringing him to the Barangay Captain pleaded with the complainant to let them settle whatever the amount of the lost items was.

Before long, the complainant filed for... Attempted Rape.

How easily was he brought to jail. Was assigned a lawyer from the Public Attorneys’ Office and till now is awaiting his sentencing. I had several visits after that. I also took it upon myself to check on the status of his case. Call it guilt, but it would have been so much easier if I tried to help him get a license and be a tricycle driver, right? Than talk to lawyers and sit through a hearing....

I met the lawyer from PAO and I was glad that she was female. Don’t get me wrong. My father’s a lawyer and I’m aware that men mostly dominate this arena...but it’s a woman thing. Women are from Venus. Men will never understand that.

Joking aside. I was excited to learn that there was a scheduled hearing in a matter of days. The day came, my partner and I were on time only to hear that they were postponing the hearing because the Judge was attending a conference. The next hearing was slated in two months!!

I was again present at the Regional Trial Court after a long wait. I saw Naknak chained and seated at the left side of the room. He sent a sheepish smile my way. My heart went out to him. He didn’t have any family.  His lawyer even thought I was related to him. She said that I was the only one she met representing Naknak and who actually visited him.

There were other cases being heard before ours. After an hour or so, a witness from the prosecution team approached the stand. Our attorney’s turn came and ended with one question thrown to the witness and another question withdrawn... I couldn’t understand it. That was that. The Judge set another hearing in a few months.

Today, Naknak has been in jail for 2 years, 7 months and counting. He said that he has been advised that the Clerk of Court is new and they had to hear the case over again. He has also told me that his PAO lawyer is operated on. So... more delays for this case.

I tried to ask for a copy of the documents from his lawyer and her reply was, I can get a copy from a certain department...and she also said, that should I wish to request for another lawyer, I can.

I don’t want to talk politics, government matters, gripe or air grievances, but at times, you just often wonder....what the hell happened to good old-fashioned “malasakit”?? (Does this word even have a translation to English?)

I immediately placed myself in Naknak’s shoes...what if I didn’t have enough money to pay for a good, dedicated lawyer to help me prove my innocence...

Imagine yourself in an emergency room fighting for your life, and the resident doctor was overworked, didn’t get much sleep or simply didn’t care enough if you live or die....I think it’s the same case as Naknak’s. I hear that the PAO lawyers have too many cases on their shoulders that the focus and energy is just not there. Underpaid, overworked but please, not the IRDC attitude. Acronyms I learned from my teenage sons. IRDC: I Really Don’t Care.

I visited Naknak yesterday, I promised I would visit him. He asked a favour from a friend to text me an advanced birthday greeting. Brought him some stuff and my leftover birthday cake.
We chatted for almost two hours. Then when I told him it was time for me to go, I could see tears welling up in his eyes....I asked him to be strong, to pray hard and that I would do what I can to help him. Then I felt a tug in my heart when he said, “Ate, ikaw na lang ang pag-asa ko....” (You are my only hope).

I pray that I can make a difference in Naknak’s case, to bring out the truth and give him justice. You are my only hope, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment