Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Bottle with Papa

Told my officemates that I would be going home early..and early would mean 6pm even if 5:30 was our off-hours..and why? I answered, I would be drinking a bottle of beer or two with my father. :)

A little late for a father’s day tribute but it will still do..my father has turned 84 last April 7. We happily celebrate each and every year that God has given him..these are bonus years as they would say. And I would like as much as possible to spend that limited time with him.

My father was 50 when my mother had me. But THAT would be a very long story. Next time, maybe..:)

Growing up with an almost absentee father. My father grew up with a father who had been Judge of the First Instance to three provinces and had also been governor in Batangas.(I am proud to be one of his granchildren. :) ) He lost Lolo at seven years old,I guess. Even without a role model, my father has been the best father to me…

I was 13 years old when I asked him to help me prepare a speech in class. Something about my most admired person. I wrote the words down as he said it. He said it was Atty. Pedro someone. I don’t remember the last name. I memorized two yellow pages of the speech. Delivered it in class with the appreciation of my teacher and all..but little did I know…I was relating the story of my papa…

Atty. Pedro, was my father.. Atty. Manuel L. Borbon was Atty. Pedro..boy, was I so stupid?! :)

He is so kind and humble. Our driver’s son calls him lolo. Our driver’s wife,Tata, calls him Tatay..

At 16, when I tried to run away from home because my mom and I fought, he let me…because I told him where I was going…:)

At 17, when i came home late (and that was 7 pm) he waited by the gate and talked to Arnold (my boyfriend then later my ex-hubby and father of my kids) about taking care of me and things I would never find out about. Men talk…

At 23, he didn’t stop me from marrying Arnold and dutifully brought me to the aisle…

At the end of my marriage, he listened and protected me from the effects of it…he still waited by the gate…with me having had a drink or two..

Even now, as I have gotten over such events. I am still with my papa…not because of the sad life that I had but for the present that I now have…still beside him…happily having a bottle of beer or two…:)
- Addie, Davao City, June 22, '07

No comments:

Post a Comment