Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Teenager in the House

In two years, there is going to be a teenager in the house...

When I came home from work, playing loudly on the computer speakers was HOUSE music. I didn't know what the difference was with disco or pop, etc.

Mixed emotions. Excitement, anxiety, FEAR?! :)

My eldest son, Edman, turned 11 last month. Last night we were at SM and after the usual route of Toy Kingdom (where Tommy bought a new toy using the money he saved from his "baon"), Edman didn't stop reminding me to go to "OXYGEN"!!

It's an ADULT clothes' shop, by the way. He pointed out the shirt that he wanted to have. He made this speech that for the whole week he has saved P200 and now, he lacks P79 for him to be able to buy it. Talented, right? :) I gave him the amount, not immediately though. Haha!

Oh, I worry about their spending habits but the thing that I think most of is..."letting go".

I know that they are slowly slipping away from my grip...

Soon, they are not going to need me as much as they do now.

I remember I had this conversation with my older sister, Ate Baby. She also has two boys. Her youngest, Enzo, is finishing college and Nico, her eldest, is already working. She told me how difficult it was for her to put some distance to her boys, not worry too much where they were, what they were doing...how they would go back home safely. That there would come a time, that you would just be there, watching and ready to give them guidance, advice or support when they need it.

I realized that our role as parents have different phases. I will always have to keep in mind that I still have a few more years till that time comes.

Time flies but I am enjoying every bit of it as it does. With a silent prayer for the challenges coming my way, I walked with my arms both on each of my sons' shoulders.

They have grown. My babies... but babies no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment