Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's Not a Game

I opened my yahoo account tonight. Looked through emails I have not read while at work. This email had been there for awhile now. It’s about this man…Warren Buffet.
I know that he is very rich, second to Bill Gates but what struck me most was that he did not have a cellphone and laptop with him ALL THE TIME….

I had this crazy thought… I know I haven’t read it somewhere. But technology makes us lazy and takes too much of our time. I will say “generally” as I know some might and will react violently to this remark.

This is not the only issue in the Warren Buffet article. I called Edman and Tommy so we could read it together.

Warren (wow, first name basis?!) started saving at the age 11. Actually, he bought his first share at that age. About the same age as Edman is now. My sons both have savings account. We opened it mid year last year. The money that they saved, we were able to use during our Hong Kong Disney trip. I asked them both to fill-up their withdrawal slips. Write down the amount and sign their names. They also have to fall in line with all the rest of the 20 or so bank clients… This was important because if they ever have the need to get from their savings, they realize the amount of time they put in just trying to withdraw!

Edman was groaning at most parts of the article. It hit him right on the spot. Warren Buffet said, “Don’t wear brand names…wear something you’re comfortable in” Remember my blog about his favorite shirt shop?? (Yesterday, there was a big sale at SM…but he went home with a long face)

I don’t know how I’ve raised him to be this brand-conscious… When I was a kid, I know that I have an insurmountable ____ of hand-me-downs… Now, we can commonly refer to as “Ukay”. I am proud of how my own parents raised me. I am worried though that I am failing now as a parent. Inasmuch as I want my children to be happy and comfortable, I cannot bear the consequences of it. I do not want them to be brats or lose money just as fast as they earned it!!

Tough job for parents, right? I am lucky that I am friends with some people who give me financially sound advice. Being a working mother..(you’ve probably heard this a thousand times…), my responsibilities are ?@%&?! Got to pay bills on time, work hard, make sacrifices…

Addie….take a deep long breath…and exhale slowly through the mouth. There.

One of Our Daily Bread readings is entitled “It’s Not A Game”…

“While material possessions, professional success, and personal victories are enjoyable, they last only for this life. Then they’re all left behind.”

How do I effectively teach this to my growing children…..Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment